STANDARD TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE PLASMAS
Ovidiu S. Stoican, PhD, CS3, experience in the following areas: plasma physics, electrodynamic traps, computational physics, nuclear quadrupole resonance (NQR), diode laser applications, instrumentation and applied electronics
- Study of the electrodynamic traps as a tool used in environment protection, biology, material and solid state physics
- Development of new electrodynamic trap geometries
- Manipulation of the stored microparticles by using acoustic waves
Plasma sources operating at atmospheric pressure and interaction plasma-electromagnetic field
|Microparticles cloud confined along the longitudinal axis of the linear trap
- Development of the plasma sources operating at atmospheric pressure, for various practical applications (medicine, biology, environment protection and material processing)
- Interaction plasma-microwave field
- Application of the plasma antenna technology for rf switches
|The head of the plasma jet generator operating at atmospheric pressure during operation
Experimental model of a plasma jet generator operating at atmospheric pressure.
The supply electrical circuit consists of two voltages sources parallel connected.
One of them is a high voltage pulse generator (Upeak=-4kV, f=1-100Hz)
whereas the second one is a conventional dc voltage source (for normal operation,
adjustable in the range from -600V to -1000V).
After the plasma plume is initiated, the electrical discharge is sustained only by dc source.
This approach improves the circuit supply reliability, energy efficiency and diminishes electromagnetic perturbations.
Its design is based on commercial available components, allowing to be implemented as a product by an innovative start-up.
A. Journals and international conferences
- O. S. Stoican, High voltage pulses circuit for generating a plasma plume
at atmospheric pressure, Romanian Reports in Physics, Vol. 71, No. 1, article no. 406 (2019)
- O. S. Stoican, Voltage Reversal in Series-connected Three 1.5V AAA Alkaline
Batteries, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 897 - 904 (2019)
- O. S. Stoican, Plasma jet generator with hybrid electrical supply, ISCP -INDLAS 2018, September 3-7, 2018, Alba-Iulia, Romania, pag 179
- O. S. Stoican, High voltage pulses circuit for generating a plasma plume at atmospheric pressure, 17th International Conference on Plasma Physics and Applications (CPPA), June 15-20, 2017, Bucharest, P3-04, p88.
- O. S. Stoican, Experimental study of an atmospheric pressure plasma ignited periodically by high voltage pulses, 16th IBWAP, July 7-9, 2016, Constanţa, Romania, S2P24, p.99
- O. S. Stoican, Study on the axial distribution of the stored microparticles in an electrodynamic trap by using software image processing, Rom. Journ. Phys, vol. 61, Nos. 3-4, pp. 536-542 (2016)
- O. S. Stoican, Experimental setup aimed to study the electrical impedance variations of a plasma column in a wide frequency range, Romanian Reports in Physics, vol. 66, no. 3, 746-753 (2014)
- G. Visan, O. S. Stoican, An experimental setup for the study of the particles stored in an electrodynamic trap, Rom. Journ. Phys.,Vol. 58, Nos. 1-2, pp. 171-180 (2013)
- O. S. Stoican, Studies on the Interaction Between an Acoustic Wave and Levitated Microparticles in Waves in Fluids and Solids, Ruben Pico Vila (Ed.), 2011, ISBN: 978-953-307-285-2, InTech
- O.S. Stoican, An atmospheric pressure plasma source driven by a train of monopolar high voltage pulses superimposed to a dc voltage, European Physical Journal-Applied Physics, 55, 30801 (2011)
- O. S. Stoican, Galvanic isolated voltage source using a single photodiode, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 81, 046102 (2010)
- O. S. Stoican, Study of RF Perturbations Due to a Hollow-Cathode Discharge, Rom. Journ. Phys., Vol. 55, Nos. 7-8, pp. 800-805 (2010)
- O. S. Stoican, Period shift of a discharge tube relaxation oscillator due to a weak microwave field, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 48, 070218 (2009)
- O. S. Stoican, Frequency shift of a relaxation oscillator due to an external electrode, Rom. Journ. Phys., Vol. 54, Nos. 3-4, pp. 385-390 (2009)
- O. S. Stoican, L. C. Dinca, G. Visan, S. Radan, Acoustic detection of the parametrical resonance effect for a one-component microplasma consisting of the charged microparticles stored in the electrodynamic trap, Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, Vol. 10, No. 8, August 2008, pp. 1988 -1990 (2008)
- V. Gheorghe, L. Giurgiu, O. S. Stoican, D. Cacicovschi, R. Molnar, B. Mihalcea, Ordered structures in a variable length a. c. trap, Acta Physica Polonica A, 93, 4, pp. 625-629 (1998)
- V. Florescu, S. Patrascu, O. S. Stoican, Systematic study of 1s - ns and 1s - nd two photon transitions of hydrogenlike atoms, Phys. Rev. A, 36, 5, pp. 2155-2166 (1987)
C. Patents under review
- Circuit for emitting and receiving radio frequency electromagnetic waves as pulses, RO 123436 (B1) /19-10-2007
- Plasma generator at atmospheric pressure supplied by a dc source of high internal resistence: A/01061/06-12-2018
- Linear segmented quadrupole trap: RO 132951 (A0) /17-05-2018
- Helical electrodynamic trap: RO 133067 (A0) /07-12-2017
- Circuit for automatic control of a mixed-supply plasma generator operation: RO 132739 (A2) /12-01-2017
- Ultrafast electromagnetic pulse generator for simulating electromagnetic pulses associated with the interaction between high-power laser radiation and matter: RO132404 (A2) /23-08-2016
- System for detecting ionizing radiation, in real time, with electromagnetic noise protection: RO131900 (A2) /27-11-2015
- Testing process for complex systems and components using pulsed and synchronized flows of laser-accelerated particles: RO130134 (A2) /28-08-2013
- Storing system for micro and nano particles using dielectric containers and capilary tubes: RO129406 (A2) /07-09-2012
Involvement in research projects
- Core program (PN) LAPLAS VI 16N/08.02.2019
- STAR project 136/2017: Development of quadrupole and multipole ion trap based mass spectrometers for optical characterization and chemical analysis of atmospheric aerosol particles
- PCCDI project: Intelligent multiagent systems platform for water quality monitoring in the Romanian sector of Danube and Danube Delta
- COST project: Trapped Ions: Progress in classical and quantum applications (TIPICQA) CA17113
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR LASER, PLASMA AND RADIATION PHYSICS (INFLPR)
Plasma Physics and Nuclear Fusion Departament